Home Owner Grants /South Australia
First Home Owners Grant SA
Updated January, 2014
The South Australia Government's First Home Owners Grant offers first home buyers $15,000 towards the purchase or construction of a residential property, including a house, flat, unit, townhouse or apartment up to the value of $575,000 that meets local planning standards anywhere in South Australia. The First Home Owners Grant currently applies to both new and established homes, but will cease for established homes from 1 July 2014.
The residential property must be occupied as each applicant's principal place of residence property for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months of date of settlement for contracts to purchase, or the date construction is completed for owner builders or contracts to build.
- At least one of the applicants must be an Australian citizen or have permanent residency in Australia. New Zealand citizens permanently residing in Australia who hold Special Category Visas may also apply.
- The applicant(s) or their spouse(s)/domestic partner(s) must not have previously owned a residential property anywhere in Australia prior to 1 July 2000.
- The applicant(s) or their spouse(s)/domestic partner(s) must not have owned a residential property anywhere in Australia on or after 1 July 2000 and occupied that property continuously for six months or more.
- All applicants must occupy the home purchased or built as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least six months commencing within 12 months after completion of the eligible transaction.
It is the responsibility of the applicant(s) to satisfy the Commissioner that they have meet the residency requirements. Applicants may be required to verify this later by providing documentation supporting their period of occupancy (e.g. electricity and gas accounts, bank statements, landline and/or mobile phone accounts and household contents insurance policies).
Applicants who do not meet the residency requirements must contact RevenueSA in writing within 14 days of the date on which it first became apparent that the residency requirements would not be complied with, and repay the grant.
- Each applicant must be a natural person (i.e. not a trustee or company) except in the cases of legal disability.
- Each applicant must be at least 18 years of age at the time of making application for the FHOG.
- The property purchased has a market value of $575 000 or less.
For enquiries about the South Australian Government's First Home owners Grant, phone (08) 8226 3750.