Home Owner Grants /Northern Territory
First Home Owners Grant NT
Updated January, 2014
The Northern Territory Government provides a First Home Owner Grant to elegible persons purchasing a new or established home or building a new home.
From 4 December 2012, the amount of the grant is the lesser of the consideration actually paid for the eligible transaction, or:
a) $12 000 if the home is an established home in the urban area;
b) otherwise - $25,000
The value of the property being bought or built is capped at $600,000.
You may be elegible if you are:
You and your spouse have:
- at least 18 years of age (or a joint applicant with someone who is)
- not a company or a person acting as a trustee (unless appointed as guardian for a person with a legal disability)
- an Australian citizen or a permanent resident (or a joint applicant with someone who is)
- never been paid and have retained the first home owner grant from any State or Territory of Australia.
- not owned residential property in Australia prior to 1 July 2000.
- not occupied a residential property in Australia that was owned by you or your spouse on or after 1 July 2000.
TRO may approve the grant in special circumstances if:
- are purchasing or building a home and the consideration for, or the value of the home is not more than transaction eligibility threshold (includes the unencumbered value of the land on which the home is to be built. Note: This criterion applies from 1 January 2010.
- will move into the home within one year of purchase or, if constructing a new home, within one year of completing construction.
- will live in the home for 6 months continuously as your principal place of residence.
You are separated from your spouse and their prior or current interests render you ineligible for the grant
- all applicants are under 18 years of age
- you move into the home after one year
- live in the home for less than 6 months
- not all of the applicants can move into home
For enquiries about the Northern Territory Government's First Home owners Grant, phone 1300 305 353.